Boiling fowl or chicken carcass 2 kg
Water 5 ltr
Salt 10 g
Leeks 50 g
Onions (studded with cloves) 100 g
Carrots 100 g
Bouquet garni 1 small
Peppercorns (white) 6
- Clean, singe, wash and truss the fowl.
- Place the boiling fowl or chicken carcasses into a suitable saucepan and add the water.
- Add the salt and bring to the boil.
- Skim and wipe the sides of the pan.
- Add the vegetables, left whole, bouquet garni and peppercorns and allow to simmer for 2 hours or until the fowl is cooked.
- Remove the scum, skim and pass the stock through a fine strainer or muslin.
- The cooked fowl is reserved for the preparation of other dishes such as vol-au-vent, creamed chicken or minced chicken etc.
- Salt is added to this stock to flavour the chicken especially when using whole birds, otherwise the meat has a tendency to be bland.