Hen lobsters (live) 5 x 400 g
Shallots 50 g
Carrots 50 g
Garlic 1 clove
Oil 50 ml
Brandy 50 ml
White wine 50 ml
Fish stock 500 ml
Meat glaze 25 ml
Tomato puree 25 g
Bouquet garni 1 small
Tomatoes 200 g
Fish veloute 250 ml
Butter 100 g
Pilaff of rice 10 portions
- Place each lobster on a board and holding firmly insert a trussing needle or the point of a knife through the cross mark on the centre of the head.
- Remove the two large claws from the body of the lobster and crack the shell across the middle; the meat will be removed when cooked.
- Separate the body from the tail and cut the tail into four pieces across the shell.
- Cut the body in two lengthways, remove and dispose of the gravel bag. Remove and place on one side the intestines and coral which are reserved for finishing the sauce.
- Crush and chop the garlic, chop the shallots and dice the carrots.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan until very hot, add the pieces of lobster and body shell and fry over a fierce heat until the flesh has stiffened and the shell is bright red in colour.
- Add the carrots, shallots, garlic and continue to saute for a further 2 minutes, drain off all the surplus oil and flambe with the brandy.
- Add the wine, fish stock, meat glaze, tomato puree, bouquet garni and chopped tomatoes, bring to the boil, season and skim.
- Cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat or in a moderate oven for 20 minutes then remove the lobster and the shells from the liquor. Remove the lobster meat from the shell, place it into a serving dish and keep hot.
- Reboil the liquor, reduce by two thirds and add the veloute..
- Pass the coral and intestines through a sieve and add an equal amount of butter, Whisk this mixture into the sauce and pass the whole through fine conical strainer.
- Replace the sauce into a saucepan, reheat without boiling, place in a bain marie and whisk in the remaining butter.
- Pour the sauce over the lobster, garnish with chopped parsley and serve with pilaff of rice separately.