FILLET OF BEEF
Fillet of beef 1.2 kg
Larding bacon 100 g
Onions 25 g
Carrots 25 g
Aspic jelly 1.5 ltr
Horseradish sauce 100 ml
Carrots 400 g
Swedes 800 g
Green beans 150 g
Artichoke bottoms 4
Peas 50 g
Cauliflower 1 small
Leaf gelatine 10 g
- Trim the fillet and remove any fat or sinew.
- Cut the bacon into thin strips 40mm x 3mm x 3mm and place in cold water.
- Lard the fillet at intervals of 15mm with the bacon strips.
- When the fillet is larded tie it loosely to preserve its shape whilst it cooks, season with salt and pepper.
- Peel the carrots and onions, cut them into thick slices and place them in an even layer in the bottom of a roasting dish. Pour a little oil over the top and set in an oven 230oC for 5 minutes.
- Place the fillet on the bed of vegetables, brush with a little oil and roast for 10 minutes then reduce to 200oC and continue to roast, basting occasionally for a further 15 minutes.
- The fillet is cooked when pressure is applied and the meat is firm and the blood runs pink (the joint should be underdone). Allow to cool.
- Cut off 3 slices and place them overlapping on a wire grill with the remainder of the fillet. Chill in a refrigerator.
- Glaze with aspic jelly on the point of setting. Allow to set in the refrigerator.
- Pour a 3mm coating of aspic jelly onto a serving dish, allow to set.
- Arrange the meat on the dish, garnish with vegetables, horseradish dominoes and croutons of aspic jelly.
Note: Vegetables should be prepared as explained in Chapter 2 Section 4.